Bureau looking into possible "acts of violent extremism" as nation awaits Supreme Court decision on abortion.
The Federal Bureau of Investigation said it is investigating recent attacks against pro-life pregnancy resource centers and faith-based institutions, calling them possible acts of violent extremism.
The FBI said in a statement Friday that it is “investigating a series of attacks and threats targeting pregnancy resource centers and faith-based organizations across the country. The FBI takes all threats seriously and we continue to work closely with our law enforcement partners and will remain vigilant to protect our communities.”
Since the Politico website in early May leaked a draft opinion in the Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s HealthOrganization decision that indicated the impending overturning of Roe v. Wade and Planned Parenthood of Southeastern Pennsylvaniav. Casey, radical activist groups have threatened – and carried out – vandalism and violence against churches and pregnancy care centers. The decision is expected before the end of this month, and attacks in the last week or so have ramped up. So far, no one has been hurt.
Pro-life activists and Church leaders have called on authorities for more help in protecting their interests against threats. This week, a group calling itself Jane’s Revenge called for “open season” on pro-life health providers and promised escalating levels of violence in the days to come.
Activists have warned of “days of rage” if and when the Dobbs decision does indeed overturn Roe and Casey, sending the question of abortion’s legality and regulation back to state legislatures, where it was before the 1973 Roe decision.
Jane’s Revenge, whose name honors the anonymous “Jane Roe” of Roe v. Wade, has taken credit for firebombing a crisis pregnancy center in Wisconsin and has been linked to incidents at similar locations in New York, North Carolina, Washington, Wisconsin, Ohio, Maryland, the District of Columbia, and Iowa. It is calling for greater levels of violence that “may not come in the form of something so easily cleaned up as fire or graffiti.” The group, which claims to have “cells” in a number of U.S. cities, wrote that in the past months they have demonstrated “how easy and fun it is to attack,” and they called on members and prospective members of their organization to “go do one of your own.”
The White House on Wednesday spoke out against the threat, according to The Daily Wire. White House Assistant Press Secretary Alexandra LaManna told the website that “Violence and destruction of property have no place in our country under any circumstances, and the President denounces this.”
“We should all agree that actions like this are completely unacceptable regardless of our politics,” she said.